Coffee is more than popular: it's pervasive, universal, worldwide, and the inescapable drink people all over the world and of every age rely on. No other beverage is as revered or respected. It can be seen in offices, during commutes, and on kitchen counter tops worldwide.
Here are 8 notable facts about coffee and why it is the business of choice for entrepreneurs all over the globe.
1. Coffee exporting alone is a $20 billion dollar industry, mostly consumed by industrialized nations. It's so beloved today, you would never know drinking coffee once carried the death penalty.
2. After crude oil, coffee is the most sought commodity in the world. There's no shame in coming in second place to oil. Coffee is worth over $100 billion worldwide. That puts it ahead of commodities like natural gas, gold, oil, sugar and corn.
3. Worldwide, we drink over 500 billion cups of coffee every year
And of that number, 14 billion are Italian roast coffees.
4. Coffee farms are the economic livelihood of over 25 million people. Coffee is grown in over 50 countries in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America and the Caribbean. And 67 percent of the world's coffee is grown in the Americas alone.
5. Despite the different flavors and varieties, there are really only two types of coffee. Arabica and robusta are the two main commercially grown and sold coffee beans. Arabica is the more common type of bean grown (70 percent of coffee is Arabica), and it's considered more flavorful. Robusta is hardier and cheaper, most commonly seen in instant coffee jars.
6. Over half of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee daily. American coffee drinkers average 3 and a half cups of coffee every day.
7. Coffee is the source of 75 percent of America's caffeine. Substantially more than any tea, soda or energy drink.
8. Coffee shops are the fastest growing niche in the restaurant business. If it seems like there are coffee shops popping up everywhere around you, you might be right — coffee shops have a seven percent annual growth rate.